Saturday, December 6, 2014

Cranberries

It's been awhile.
I've still been cooking, and doing projects, just have yet to post. These past few weeks have been tough and I just don't feel like writing.

However, today we are celebrating Friendsgiving and I am in charge of cranberries and potatoes (yes I signed myself up for these)

I found a recipe on Pintrest that was super easy for the cranberries (and also on the back of the bag)(lame) and it seemed very similar to what my mom uses.

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
Boil stirring CONSTANTLY

       

Wash these babies (1bag) and pour in once water is boiling. Bring back to a boil then lower heat to simmer.
Don't they look pretty :)

       

About the time I took the last picture. And thought "oh they look so pretty" These (swear word) things started popping, and yes they're hot, and yes they hurt. 
This is also when I added 10 cloves, some cinnamon and allspice. I also juiced 1/2 an orange. Cook on low for 12 minutes.

       

So you're basically done now. Except you have to dig out the cloves. The actual worst part about cranberries (hey mom, did you know cloves came ground up? I bet you don't even have to use whole cloves!) and a job my brother and I hated. It's like Where's Waldo, but Waldo is a sneaky biotch and moves.
However in the sake of being authentic, I used real cloves and am now hovering over this pot digging for cloves, but it smells so amazing. I would consider making these all the time so my apartment smelled this good. Can you find the clove?
(Bottom right)
       

If you've ever done this, there are about 3 stages.
1.) really confident, you've found 3 in a row and think "this year is going to be different!"
2.) you start debating if you ACTUALLY put 10 in...or perhaps it was only 9, that cranberry popped, and maybe you didn't actually throw #7 in....
3.) you start writing a sign to put in front of the bowl "Watch out for the missing Clove"

        

You take breaks. 

You call your mom.

And by some stroke of luck, YAHTZEE! You find the last one and it's over.

Cranberry making is truly an art form and not for the faint of heart. You've stained your favorite wooden spoon, and given up your entire morning, but for the sake of tradition, they're done and they taste pretty good. Now it's time for some football.

        

Thinking of you always,
xo A

1 comment:

  1. Loved your post!! Yes there is ground cloves but what is the fun in that!! They taste best warm and after you have found the last cloves.
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete