Tuesday, December 9, 2014

It's getting CHILI in Florida

But for real, we're talking low 70's, mid 60's people.

Today I donned a sweater and knew it was chili for supper. Raise your hand if you've been making the same chili recipe forever. As in you know the recipe by heart and don't need to look at the card anymore. *me*

So I asked around, looked up some recipes and made the most amazing supper. I almost don't want to write this, and instead get another bowl. But I will not, because it just remembered that the grocery store sells turkey necks (right next to the ground turkey) and it has scarred me a little.

Turkey chili
1 pound ground turkey
1/2 a yellow onion, chopped
1 green pepper, cut up pretty small
1 can diced tomatoes
2 15oz cans tomato sauce
1 can black beans
1 can chili beans/red beans
Chili powder
Salt and pepper

So I did this in the crockpot, but I did it pretty backwards. Naturally I didn't have 4 hours to let it cook so I'm going to tell you how I would have cooked it.
I browned the turkey with 1 teaspoon chili powder. I think it adds more flavor. When that was done, I sautéed the onions and peppers. Everything else went into the crockpot along with 2 tablespoons chili powder and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
I let it cook for an hour while my CORNBREAD was baking. However I was starving and put it in the microwave for a minute and had to eat. If you have the time, 4 hours on high, 6 hours on low.

Ok but this was the best part. Creamed corn, cornbread.
Uh you heard me right. I've never had it before but the recipe I found said "Best Cornbread Ever" so I believed it, the internet doesn't lie. Or at least bloggers on Pinterest don't ;)

Preheat oven to 350 (this is the only time I preheat, when baking)
2 Jiffy cornbread mix
2 eggs
1 can cream style corn
2 teaspoons sugar

I halved it, what am I going to do with 16 muffins?! (I should not have halved it)(and I forgot the sugar, I don't really think it needed it anyway)

       

I like muffins, easier than bread, and they take less time to cook.
Baked 15 minutes + 2 for some color as muffins
If you don't half it and actually make it in a real pan, takes about 30-40 minutes

        

A beautiful golden brown
        

This is why I don't have a boyfriend. More leftovers for me.
        

xo A

ps. What do you put in your chili that makes it so amazing?

2 comments:

  1. Chili cheese Fritos, cheese, and sour cream. No beans. Eric and Alicia taught me right in Ames ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMmmm I agree with Emily? on the Fritos. cheese and sour cream but we use tostitos if we don't have Fritos. But you have to have beans... Mom

    ReplyDelete