Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Gator bait and marshmallows

Christopher was in town for the weekend, and this is what transpired.

We went on an airboat ride/tour. I was a little skeptical as to whether we would see any, but it was a beautiful day and would be nice just to be outside.

        
We walk outside and a boat is coming back, I kid you not this alligator is just hanging out. Literally a foot from the dock. I'm losing my mind. It was one of those things in my head I was thinking it was fake or something. Like one of those pool rafts, but looks a lot more legit. I took 6 pictures of him just in case we didn't see anymore. 
                                               
I did not however, get a picture of the guide patting his snout and feeding him marshmallows.
Real. Life.


       

So we get in the boat, put on our earmuffs (no pictures of that)(thank goodness) and are off on our way zipping through the water and mangroves. We slow down and he turns off the fan and we pull up next to this beauty. At this point I've officially lost my mind because I ask "uhh can he like get into the boat, like...crawl on"
Oh yeah, I mean he probably won't, but he could. (Guide throws him a marshmallow)
Good to know
12 feet. I'm actually feeling a little nauseous as I write this.

       


       
So I asked a ton of questions. Some might say I was annoying...but don't ask them.
They can swim about 28 mph and run on land 15ish mph.
If you do happen to be bit my an alligator, you should not thrash, his razor sharp teeth will tear you up, instead you should remain calm (hah! Nice one, that would never happen) and then clean the wound with bleach. No hospital necessary.

I don't really know what I was expecting, maybe us to be sitting in a cage? But we did sign a piece of paper, and write our addresses...so they know where to send the body.


       


       


       

Once the tour was over I saw a snake. It was terrifying. I don't care if it looks like a worm. Denise told me I did a good job finding it. And then she proceeded to put it safe so no one would step on it.
I wanted to tell her that's what I wanted to do to it, but she picked it up first. (Let's be real, I would have never stepped on it in fear that it would slither up my leg)

                                           
Included in the tour were pictures with a baby alligator. It sounded awesome until we were in the pen and this happened.
"He won't hurt you, just hold tight and don't drop him. I legally have to rubberband him"

                                            


                                            
No one likes a show off.


                                           

                                            

Naples       

xo A

No comments:

Post a Comment