Thursday, January 23, 2014

Alumni Event

I can't even begin to tell you how amazing it was to attend an Iowa State Foundation function. Sydnie and I were so honored to attend (well she was invited and asked me to go along) and be amongst other alumni in the area.  It was held at the Ritz-Carlton in Naples (beautiful) and we were able to meet not only the host and hostess, but President Leath and his wife as well.

When we first arrived, we were greeted by the College of Human Sciences Dean, Pamela White, (we both graduated from Human Sciences) and talked to her and her husband for quite awhile. We quickly found a seat with a nice couple from Grinnell and talked to them all night. Another couple at the table was from Green Bay, Wisconsin, and another living half time in Sarasota,FL and Hawaii. The food was spectacular. Just absolutely amazing. We all mainly bonded over dessert: brownies, mini key lime pies with baby macaroons and banana pudding vases. The lemon merengue tart was awful, and of course I took a huge bite (I don't like lemon things).

                                             
The key lime pie looked a lot prettier, but I had a hard time getting it onto my plate apparently.

After supper, president Leath got up to speak about all of the improvements happening on campus and how the Foundation (and all the people in the room) contributed. It was amazing to hear about how Iowa State is expanding and all of the new innovations and technological advances happening. We watched a short video of students saying thank you for the support through scholarships (that was honestly the best part because it really connected me back to the school and how as alumni we can affect future generations)

Everyone was so nice and welcoming, made me feel like I was back home. Multiple times throughout the night, people made the comment "it's so nice to see young faces at events like this" I can speak on behalf of Syndie and I when I say, It was an honor to be invited, and we were blown away. How often do you get to talk with the Dean of your college and President of your university?

      

      

xo A

No comments:

Post a Comment