Saturday, January 18, 2014

Day 5

So I'm feeling a lot better today. I've been modifying some of the menus and when I drink water (who chugs a glass of water the second they wake up?!) #vom

So this morning I drank a glass of water before breakfast, then had another with breakfast.
1 egg, sausage, a few cherry tomatoes, and half an avocado.
       

I had a dress return and went to the mall, did some shopping, bought some candles. No one was really in the mall, so nothing really crazy happened (I was disappointed too).
It was time to make dinner. And I was a little scared.

Paleo acorn squash

  • acorn squash
  • ground beef
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1 white onion
  • 1  teaspoon of cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, garlic
  • 1/4  cup of chopped walnuts
  • coconut oil
  • brown sugar

1. Cut acorn squash in half and preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Coat the inside of each half with coconut oil. Add a dash of salt . Add a Tbsp of brown sugar to the cavity of each half.
3. Bake in the oven for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until the squash is very soft and the tops are browned. Do not undercook. When finished, remove from oven and let cool a little before serving.
4. In a sautee pan, brown meat. Make sure you add a dash of salt, pepper, and garlic to give the meat some seasoning.
5. Then add in onion and apple to the meat. Let this simmer and break down with the meat. This will bring all the flavors together.
6. Add mixture to cooked acorn squash and top with a dash of cinnamon and some walnuts (optional).

       
I had to break out big bertha to cut through. 
I read on another recipe to score the squash, which I attempted, but it didn't really work, and I also lined the pan with aluminum foil and added 1 cup of water to the pan so the skin wouldn't stick.

      
So. I thought I had brown sugar. But I didn't. So I cheated a tad and used white sugar (gasp!) and a touch a maple syrup (bigger gasp!) but I wasn't about to run to the store to pick up brown sugar. Improvise people. (Plus I'm quite certain brown sugar is processed also so it wouldn't even matter)(it's not paleo, I checked)(but since the recipe was called PALEO acorn squash, I'm going to pretend for today that it is)

       
So I used a full pound of hamburger, 1/4 ish white onion, and half Granny Smith apple. It's a lot. There's a lot left. Not quite sure what I'm going to do with all that's left....

       
One hour and 10 minutes later. Golden brown deliciousness. I spooned the "sugar juice" in the cavity over the rest of the squash and let cool about 5-8 minutes.

       
This was so amazing. It was a good thing my dinner date cancelled or he would have seen me actually eating like a cave man. So. Good. 
Ps. The cinnamon is pretty clutch on top. So don't forget that. I didn't have walnuts but they would be good too.

I did abs while the squash was in the oven. It's like perfect meals with built in workout times. Love.

3 glasses water + ISU game

Out for supper on Sanibel with Jaclyn, Justin and his family. So much fun and great food.
I had a pre-supper drink, mojito (not paleo)(but it was offered to me and it's rude to turn hand crafted cocktails down)
For supper, scallops and leeks. Heaven. The restaurant we were at was pretty fancy and we were there for almost 2 hours, the atmosphere was pretty amazing.

1 glass of water before bed and I was out.
2 days left!

xo A


No comments:

Post a Comment