Monday, July 15, 2013

chicken && waffles

Instead of showing you beach photos from the weekend (I'll hold those for another time) it's time for Fort Myers southern food at its finest.

Fancy's. not a chain, family owned (we actually met the owner) and seriously amazing. The menu was so hard to choose from, but we got appetizers, a meal and dessert (and I never get dessert, but this place is worth the dessert).
   

  

We started with Fried Cheese Grits and Fried Green Tomatoes. 


And for the meal, Jenny and I went with chicken and waffles, Alisha got chicken with Mac n cheese and black eyed peas (all delicious)


This picture really does is no justice...4 homemade waffles and 2 chicken breasts with sweet potato haystack on top covered in homemade syrup.

Since I got there before the other two, I stalked the table next to us and eaves dropped on what they were getting. When we were halfway thru our meals, one of the ladies said something about how huge the meal was and how small we were. Then I proceeded to recite back what each of them had and ask how their meals were. Not creepy at all. It is confirmed that shrimp n grits, pot roast, meatloaf, fried okra and the pork special are all dishes they'd get again (yup I'm a creep) and "those waffles have so much syrup they should come with a side of angioplasty" 
I would have liked to tell her I'm taking my side of angioplasty to lunch tomorrow so everyone can ogle my meal. However I just smiled and laughed. She's the one that had the Mac n cheese...hello butter cream and cheese.

Anyhow, I have enough left for two meals, and was really quite full until the waiter told us about dessert. The Aunt's secret family Banana Pudding recipe it is. Literally best banana pudding I've ever had (sorry ma) it was more of a custard it was so thick.


Then it was decided to call the owner back over to coax the recipe out of him. I have no recipe for you but I guarantee its a custard not a pudding. You could hold the spoon upside down and it didn't move.

I will tell you how good this food is. My car smelled so good driving home I contemplated eating the leftovers on the way home. A waffle! Drenched in syrup....come to think of it, I could eat some right now...







No comments:

Post a Comment